We move to the text
Japan has a public health insurance system, and everyone who lives in Japan must enroll in some form of public health insurance. The National Health Insurance program (Kokumin Kenko Hoken) is one form of public health insurance, and the program is operated at the municipal level. Mitaka City collects insurance premiums from members and pays 70% of the medical costs to medical institutions. The insured member (the enrolled person) pays the remaining 30% at the accounting section of the medical institution where medical treatment is received.
Except for the following cases, everyone who lives in Mitaka City and has completed resident registration must enroll in the National Health Insurance program. You may not enroll in or withdraw from the program voluntarily. Please bring your residence card and special permanent certificate or passport, and complete enrollment procedures.
Persons not eligible for the National Health Insurance program include:
* If you plan to withdraw from the program, make sure you balance your account of insurance premiums.
* Be sure to return the National Health Insurance certificate when withdrawing.
* Please bring your health insurance certificate and complete the necessary procedures to record the change.For the procedures described above, please complete the appropriate forms at the National Health Insurance Section on the first floor of the Mitaka Municipal Office or at any branch office within 14 days after the change has taken place.
Inquiries: National Health Insurance Admissions Subsection, National Health Insurance and Pension Section, Civil Affairs Department (ext. 2383)
If you show your health insurance certificate at the reception desk before receiving medical treatment, you will then only need to bear 30% of the medical expenses for the services received. If you file an application in the following cases, you may receive a reimbursement upon review of your application, although you must initially pay the full amount. However, applications for reimbursements are not approved in all cases.
If the personally-borne expenses (varies according to income) for medical treatment at one medical institution exceed a designated amount for one person within the same month (from the 1st to the last day of the month), the excess may be reimbursed as a high medical expense benefit upon application. As a rule, those who are eligible for this benefit are sent an application in the mail within about three months after receiving medical treatment, so please complete the application procedures at the National Health Insurance and Pension Section on the first floor of Mitaka Municipal Office or at any branch office.
A benefit of ¥420,000 is offered when a child is born to an insured member.
A benefit of ¥50,000 is offered to the chief mourner when an insured member dies.
Inquiries: National Health Insurance Benefits Subsection, National Health Insurance Section, Civil Affairs Department (ext. 2387)
If your health insurance certificate is lost or badly torn, you can apply to have one reissued. Please complete the necessary procedures at the National Health Insurance Section (first floor of Mitaka Municipal Office) or at any branch office. After the application is received, a new health insurance certificate will be reissued and mailed to your home.
Inquiries: National Health Insurance Admissions Subsection, National Health Insurance Section, Civil Affairs Department (ext. 2383)
While it is natural to be treated at a medical institution for illnesses or injuries, as a rule, health insurance cannot be used in the following cases:
Inquiries: National Health Insurance Benefits Subsection, National Health Insurance Section, Civil Affairs Department (ext. 2388)
With eight payments made throughout the fiscal year, the deadline for the first payment is the end of July, and the deadline for the eighth, final payment, is the end of February of the following year.
National Health Insurance premiums can also be paid by automatic debit from your financial account. To apply for this service, please complete the designated procedures at your financial institution (excluding JP Bank) or at the Tax Collection Section. Please bring your premiums notification/invoice, seal, and account passbook. Payments will be debited from your account for the portion beginning about forty days after you apply.
Inquiries: Tax Collection Management Subsection, Tax Collection Section, Civil Affairs Department (ex. 2413)