Emergency Information

Start text

Crime and Crime Prevention

Report Problems to the Police

 Feel free to go to your local police station or police box (koban) if you need to talk to someone about crime or crime prevention. If you are the victim of a crime, or if you see or hear of a crime, do not hesitate to call 110 to inform the police.

 Police are on duty on a 24-hour basis at the koban. They are on duty to handle traffic violations, traffic accidents and lost-and-found items. They can also help you if you are lost and need directions.

 If a police officer is not there, pick up the telephone receiver in the police box, and you will be connected to the Police Department.

How to Call the Police (Dial 110)

  1. Briefly explain what happened.
    Inform the police if there are any injuries, and they can make arrangements to send an ambulance.
  2. Give your name and address.
    Note that in Japanese addresses, the city name comes first, followed by the area name and finally address number and apartment. (See back cover.)
  3. Describe a nearby landmark, such as a building, to help the police car and ambulance find the location.

*If it is not an emergency, dial #9110.


 If you are robbed, you must either dial 110 or go to the police station/koban police box directly to file a report. If your bank account passbook or cash card was stolen, you should inform your bank of the loss right away. It is important that you keep a record of such information as the telephone number of your bank and your account number.

Traffic Accidents

  1. If there are any injuries, rescue the injured party.
  2. Call the police by dialing 110. If there are any injuries, be sure to inform the police.
  3. Obtain sufficient information on the other party.
    Write down the license plate number, the driver’s license number, name, address, age and telephone number of the other driver.
  4. If you are injured, be sure to see a doctor, even if you only have a slight injury. In some cases, the aftereffects of injuries become evident a while after the accident.
  5. Contact your insurance company.

Lost and Found

 If you report an item you have lost to the police, you will be contacted if it is found. Items that are found but not reported as lost will be kept for about one month and then sent to the following location. The items will be kept there for three months.

 Inquiries: Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department Lost and Found Center, 9-11, Koraku 1-chome, Bunkyo-ku,
Tel: 03-3814-4151

Go to page top